Sunday, February 3, 2013

Blog #3


What is Peer Editing?
   Editing...that one word causes my hands to sweat, my stomach to curl into knots and be bombarded with memories of past self editing. To add peers to the equation makes it worse. I always felt uncomfortable about showing others my writing and that black cloud became darker as I tried to rewrite when my paper was full of remarks like "I don't get this," "wrong word," or "I didn't like it." On the rare chance I found someone who could say, "this is what's wrong," or "I don't understand this part, could you explain it?" I began to improve because they told me exactly what I needed but I was still scared to edit another's work. My own sisters and mom tried to help my proofreading but I still felt stupid when I made a mistake. I kept thinking that if I cannot write then why should I edit another's paper? What authority did I have to tell them what can make it better when I cannot even write one sentence without three misspelled words and a fragment? I have never known solid rules of editing but now I finally have a stable, proven plan. After working the videos and the slide shows, I have a step-by-step map of what I need to do and say in order to help them in their writing by me spotting the mistakes so that both of our skills can improve. The slide show helped the most in explaining my course of action when editing, like how to properly word suggestions and the way I am to act when I am editing so I show them respect for their writing, which was the only part I already knew. In middle school, I remember a teacher told us that when we edited we were to act as if we are the other's guest and to treat both them and their paper as we would want them to treat us. I liked that in every link, even if one link talked less about one topic than the other links did, these authors made it clear that respect was key.
   After I was finished watching and reading all that was needed for this part of the blog, I received an e-mail alert that my blog had a new comment from Jessica Strickland. I was very impressed. She followed the rules of editing, told me what she liked and listed corrections that I had missed. What she did next actually made me almost cry because when she gave me suggestions on what I could improve on her words were so kind. At no time did she write, "you idiot, why did you use that word?" or "that opinion was stupid." Instead, she politely gave her own view on my comment and even gave her own story of when she too feel in love with reading. This was a perfect example of the manner in which I too need to write in my own comments and editing from now on. So far, only my sisters and mom have read my writing. So this blog is the first time I am letting others see my work and I did not think that those outside my family would like what I say. I am still scared but, though I my not be running to publish a post, there is definitely more speed in my steps. I remember a verse from bible school, right before I entered middle school. In Proverbs 27:17 it states that "as iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." It reminded me about what each link was stating, that in order for us to get better at editing and writing we must keep writing and editing and encouraging one another.


Assistive Technologies
   Even though I knew that there are those who cannot see or hear in everyday classrooms, I never really thought about what is needed to teach them simple subjects or how to even begin teaching them. I am very grateful for these videos because not only have they stated the issues that are present in today's classroom, from them not being able to participate in group projects to understanding the concept of numbers, but also what we are future teachers can use and do to help. With the Mountbatten video, they showcased a machine, think of it as an intelligent type writer, that creates each letter in braille as it is telling the student what they have typed. It addressed the issue that many blind students face in that they cannot write an essay, make list or notes in the classroom. If a teacher cannot read braille, then they do not know where the child stands academically. This remarkable technology will allow blind students to be more included into the class by being able to write essays and be a part of "peer group projects." The machine also translates the braille into written words on another computer screen so that the teacher can see their performance on paper and have proof of what they know and what they need to work on. While this machine helps for a child to spell and write for language, there is another in San Francisco that is hard at work with the most difficult subject for the blind: math.
    The in the video titled "Teaching Math to the Blind," University of San Francisco School of Bushiness and Professional Studies Professor Art Karshmer shows a new tablet and block system for teaching math. Basically, each small block, about the size of a quarter, has the number written visually and in braille on them with a bar-code under it and a tablet about the screen size of a large laptop. When the students want to place the number on the tablet, they scan the bar-code, which tells them aloud what number it is. When they place it on the tablet, not only will it state where it is but state the math problem they have created as well. Numerous times I have seen braille written on bathroom signs or a special section of the library full of braille books, but not once did I think about math having a form that students with visual impairments could utilize. I suppose, like so many, I assumed that the system of teaching was the same for a student be they blind or not. Professor Karshmer stated that math is two-dimensional and because this tablet physically shows them where the numbers need to be they begin to understand the subject and have a chance to go on to fields that need math, thus opening up knew doors for them. If I were to have a blind student in my class, I would like to use both of these great inventions but I would also like to use a more physical take on their learning as well. Bringing in items from nature, different shapes or even the plants and animals found in the books so that they can place what they have heard and read to a touch. I do not want them to be an outsider in my classroom and will do whatever it takes to show them the world around them and what lies beyond to give them the chance to chase their dreams no matter what. 


Vicki Davis: Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts
   Wow. After watching the "Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts" video, what else is there to say? After hearing about Mrs. Davis' fight and victory to not only get her students thinking and working on their own, but that she connected a small, rural community to the rest of the world, I feel inspired. How many of us, if the only available job was in the rural part of the south, would have taught for one year and then left saying that you were not going to be able to teach about the world with books alone? Or worse, stayed, saying that we did not care? Mrs. Davis did neither of these, but instead used what her students already knew about technology as her base for both her work and theirs. First, she gathered all that they knew, twitter, blogs, phones, etc. and explored those further by showing them how they need to gather information, where that information should come from and why they needed to look on their own instead of asking her. She wanted them to be free thinkers who, when faced with a problem, would work to find a solution. If they could not find it, she wanted them to be able to present what they needed to know so that both Mrs. Davis and they could learn. She even stated that she did not know how to use the Terraform system when they started and that she learned along side the students; she also stated that she was amazed at what they could do in any a few days. How many times did your own teacher say that?
   But, Mrs. Davis did not stop at showing them all the different ways the internet could be used; she also showed that by connecting their work to the internet, they would become better writers and thinks. Just as we were shown in the first section of "Peer Editing," we all need the advice from all walks of life and more than our own eyes to spot both our accomplishments and mistakes. If I were to write an essay stating that energy efficient light bulbs were not worth their high price and that they should be thrown out, I would only get the "peer editing" version of corrections from a small sample of people when I turn it in and nothing more. If I were instead to blog my essay online, then the whole world would be able to see it and give comments that would help me. What if I did not realize that I was basing my essay on one brand of light bulbs, which were deemed inefficient for saving energy? What if I was given a link to were I could see how much energy the light bulbs in my own house used? When I think of Mrs. Davis, I am reminded of my eldest sister who is a teacher because while she may not have done what Mrs. Davis did, both of these women loved their students and worked hard to help better their future. Every day my sister would come home with new stories about the day, ideas for projects and more than one night I was helping her collect and cut out what they would need for the next day. If something happened to her students, she would find a way to help them. In retrospect, I realize now that they looked after her when she was pregnant as if she was either their mom or sister. These are the kind of teachers we need to be: ones that love their children and who do whatever it takes to help and care for them. 

1 comment:

  1. "I still felt stupid when I made a mistake." We ALL make mistakes ALL the time. Those who learn from their mistakes prosper. Those who do not wither and die.

    "...better writers and thinks." thinkers, not thinks

    "What if I was given..." were not was (conditional)


    "...ones that love their children and who do whatever it takes to help and care for them. " I think we need more than babysitters. We need teachers who encourage learning!

    Thoughtful. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete