Sunday, February 10, 2013

Project #3

My Comment to Martha Yim's "The Parents' View" Blog
Subject: Childhood Obesity and Recess
  In Mrs. Yim's blog she discuses the fact that while the number of obesity children and adults more and more schools are doing away with recess and many ideas as how to help fix these problems. She talks about an idea that she used on her own students to have snack time outside and, only after they are finished, they could use the rest of their time playing. Even though there were no balls, ropes or other equipment for them to use they simply played as children do and the aspect of her determination to make some form of good to come from their circumstances is inspirational. How many times has a teacher, when their own recess was taken, simply said "oh well", go back to lecturing and then wonder why her students are not doing well? We as future teachers need to be more like Mrs. Yim and not just set down and accept what has happened but instead use what we have to still help our students while we fight to bring it back.

  In my post in regards to her blog I stated that I fully agreed that by banning recess we are causing more harm than good for those who will in changed of our futures. I stated that simply having a good mind does a person no good if they are by healthy; ask any child, student or parent if they are capable of completing their work if their body is not working properly and they will say no. Though I did not have space to place it I also wanted to say that it is the same as if one puts a new engine in a demolished car: no matter what is on the inside you still need all part of the car to work together in order for it move. I also wrote how to teacher can except a child to sit still in a chair all day and listen to them lecture. As a season babysitter I know that when a child can go outside to play they can complete their work easier and become a happier person in general. At the end of my post I did ask her if it was possible for teachers to change the setup of the school day, to make P.E. mandatory and if she had any tips or thoughts on where a new teacher should start.



My Comment to Martha Yim's "The Parents' View" Blog
Subject: "To Deal or Not to Deal that is the question!" 
  In Mrs. Yim's blog she talked about her issues with public school and private school when she heard how horribly her friends' child was treated in school. Every parents wants their child to grow up happy and healthy but she shared her friends' concern when while her child was not allowed to change classes for good reasons a child that was a constant problem for the school was able to change class three times. She also said that her friend wanted her son to be able to stand up for himself but it did not seem that anyone other than his mother was trying to help him. She talked about how in high school she walked out of many of her classrooms and went to the principal when she realized that the teachers where not in fact teaching. She was not afraid of her teachers I believe that if more where like her, to be able to spot those that were not doing their job, then maybe there would be more teachers like Mrs. Yim who would have helped a child like her friends' son instead of acting like she did not care. She then asked if "do you think that it is good for children to experience all of the complications of school or to shelter them from this environment so that they can get the best education possible".

  In my post in regard to her blog I stated that I did not believe that exposing a child to all the horrors that come with school was the best way to prepare them for life. I have been in public school, private school and have also been home schooled but it was when I was home schooled that I learn the most. Many times my mom and I would go into Manhattan and she would use all that the city had to offer to teach me. With history museums, art shows, plays or even parks I was able to see, feel, taste and smell all parts of the subjects and was able to understand them on a new level. While searching on the internet I found that in every test possible those that home schooled out preformed those in public and private school in both the classroom and in the real world. I also found that those who had been home schooled demonstrated "healthy social, psychological, and emotional development, and success into adulthood" more so than those who were in public or private school. I loved it when I was home schooled and when I have my own children I will home school them too. There is no reason to place a child in a place where they will be bullied, told how to learn and only taught what the school board deems fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment