Sunday, February 10, 2013

Blog Post #4

The seven styles of learning and how those in each learn best. For Logical they use reasoning and logic to understand new topics. Social work best in groups where they learn by communicating with others. Solitary work best through self-study and when they are by themselves. Physical need to use their body or hands to tough the subjects that they are leaning. Verbal using words in speech and writing; these people can learn when it is explain to them or if they read it usually only once. Aural use music and sound. Visual use images, pictures and colors.

Podcast Preparations
  The three resources that I chose to help me with my teams' podcast as well as any I do on my own are "Listening-Comprehension-Podcast", "The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom" and "1st Graders Create Their Own Read-Along Audiobook".
  In the first titled "Listening-Comprehension-Podcast" I learned how to understand any language you have not only listen to it over and over but give a feeling, a reason for each word with your voice. We do this everyday on the phone, in person and even with text but when it is required that we stand before a group and speak it is as if we loose our soul. At first I thought that such a task as speaking into a microphone was easy until I tried it on my own and I was shocked to hear my voice because nothing was there. I had none of the excitement, wonder or, in one case, an evil laugh to my words. I did not like it. I now know that before my team and I begin to practice for our podcast that I need to practice on my own for a while first in order to bring life into the words. I do not want people to fall asleep while listen and I know that no one will act as if I was the most interesting person in the room but to merely have them listen will make all the difference.
  In the second called "The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom" it shows that by using podcast in the classroom I can do more than simply have notes or study guides on hand for absent students but with reading, group discussions and projects too.What I liked most about this link was the reactions of the students. How many times have you heard a child ask to listen to the lecture from school instead of the radio while on a road trip? How many times has a child had this hunger for learning?  I saw that same look with the students in the last link titled "1st Graders Create Their Own Read-Along Audiobook". In the podcast they were really acting out what they saw in their minds and their voices helped to create that words thought I could not see them. With the help of these links and others I believe that my team and I will be able to complete our own podcast with pride and hopefully continue using this. I plan on creating a blog just for my nieces where I can use the podcast to record me reading their favorite books and they can listen to me as many times as they want. By the time I enter my own classroom I will be able to use podcast in every way for my students.

2 comments:

  1. Practice makes perfect they say. Good luck. I am eager to listen to your podcast.

    Thoughtful. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cari,
    I think recording podcasts for your nieces is a wonderful idea and great practice! You will be more enthusiastic about podcasting because of such a family-based practice. I was not very enthusiastic about podcasting until the teacher I worked for said if I could figure it out, she would let the class do a project via podcast. She also wants me to show her how! I am very excited now!
    I also did not realize how hard it was to put emotion into speaking, especially in a microphone or on a podcast until yesterday. My team and I attempted our first podcast. I had no idea a computer could become so intimidating! I wish your team the best of luck with your podcast.
    Sincerely,
    Kameron Strickland

    ReplyDelete